March 27, 2011

Multitude Monday

holy experience


It's been a long time since I've expressed some open gratitude; I need to get back into the habit. Develop the habit of practicing righteousness and lawless deeds will fall by the wayside.

551. I'm thankful for the Word of God encouraging me and directing me to replace unbiblical thoughts with Biblical ones that glorify God and edify and sanctify my attitudes. Here are some examples from Martha Peace's book, The Excellent Wife. If it's been a while since you've read it (or haven't yet once) and this encourages you, re-read it. It's worth your time.

Unbiblical Thought: "I'm not going to live a lie and be a hypocrite . . . " [and use this as an excuse to sin].

Replace with the Biblical Thought: "I am never being a hypocrite when I obey God in spite of my feelings."

Unbiblical Thought: "He'll never change." (Or even, "This situation will never change.")

Replace with the Biblical Thought: "Only God can know whether he'll ever change or not. I commit to love him whether I feel like it or not." (Or, "God is sovereignly controlling and omniscient. Whether or not my situation gets any better, I commit to obey Him whether I feel like it or not.")

Unbiblical Thought: "This is more than I can bear. There is no hope."

Replace with the Biblical Thought: "There is nothing that has happened that God cannot forgive [or heal, or provide], that I cannot forgive [or wait patiently for], and that we can't work through."

552. I'm thankful for quiet moments alone when I'm awake. And they are few and far between.

553. I'm thankful for the joy my mother-in-law brings when she comes to visit us. Seeing her have joy over her grand babies lightens our home.

554. I'm thankful that sometimes (not often) Moriah whines less.

555. I'm thankful that we are able to host other families in our home, that our home is conducive to hosting large gatherings for fellowship.


No comments: