March 24, 2009

Easily Angered

A great source of my contentions is a heart inclined to easily get angry.  Oftentimes, I get angry about the littlest things throughout the day and as the heat of my anger increases I begin to snap back irritated responses, nag and complain.  It is so easy to get angry when my heart is full of self-centeredness.  

"Be angry and yet, do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, nor give the devil an opportunity."  Ephesians 4:26-27

The opportunities the devil takes with my anger begin with unforgiveness, selfishness, bitter thoughts, disrespect, self-centeredness, and all kinds of unwholesome thoughts and speech.  These are the fruits of my unrighteous anger; the sin that leads to death.  There is no peace in these things and there is definitely no joy from this contentious attitude.  Peace and joy come only from Christ, being completely satisfied in Him alone.  So, I repent and ask God to give me a gracious, grateful and forgiving heart.  I recall these verses at the end of Ephesians 4: 29-32 and remind myself of how much more God, in Christ, has forgiven me and I find freedom from contentious anger.

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.  Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

John Piper's sermon, "Battling the Unbelief of Bitterness," is an excellent resource.  Here's the link to read the transcript, watch or listen.  Click here.

No comments: