March 31, 2009

God's Infinity

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.
Ephesians 1:18-19

Scripture is so obvious that all of God's attributes are limitless. Most people, even non-Christians, affirm and believe that He is all-knowing, all-powerful, and present everywhere. I affirm all these things, but I am still learning to reflect this knowledge in my behavior towards God, able to fully trust and depend on Him. Because God is the Greatest Being in all the universe, that He is the only being not created, with neither beginning nor end, all of His attributes can be described also by His infinity. He is infinitely powerful, infinitely wise, infinitely knowledgeable, infinitely merciful, gracious, kind and loving.

So why do I doubt Him? "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9) Sometimes I give in to temptation and to sin, so it causes me to consider that God's grace has a limit. But that's not true. If God's grace is sufficient to free me from the slavery to my sinful nature, then it has the ability to perfect me in Christ. God's grace is sufficient. Perhaps I rely on my own strength when I'm tempted to give into sinful desires. How would I ever learn to trust, lean and depend on God's grace if I'm trusting in my own strength, which fails? God's grace is infinite. His power is limitless. There is no extent to the depths of His knowledge. And His perfections are infinitely perfect. How Great Is Our God!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Amen! :-)