May 26, 2011

10 Reasons Why I'm Still Nursing

Yes, Shiphrah is still nursing. Seven out of 8 feedings I still have to fight her to stay on the breast and to eat a complete meal. It has been very frustrating and some days I can't stand it anymore, but we both have persevered.

I continue to nurse because:
1. It's convenient. I don't have to make bottles in the middle of the night.

2. It's convenient while traveling because I don't have to predict how long we'll be out, how much formula I need, where I need to get water (or bring my own), or how to heat it, etc ad nauseum.

3. It helps me lose weight. It is said that nursing moms burn an extra 500 calories a day to support milk production. Oh yeah, super fast, safe and healthy weight loss is possible. Currently I weigh 15 pounds less than when I got pregnant with Shiphrah. :-D

4. It's an excuse to sit down and be quiet. After running around all day getting chores and errands done, I find that sitting can be quite necessary after a while and I probably wouldn't do it unless I had to nurse.

5. It helps provide protection against feminine cancers: breast, ovarian & uterine. Read this Above Rubies "Preservation" article.

6. It helps establish and boost baby's immune system.

7. It can be a natural contraceptive, when done consistently.

8. I don't have to worry about getting my period while nursing.

9. It helps fill out my clothing.

10. It's the best option when providing my baby nourishment.



1 comment:

Erin said...

Yay for still nursing! Sorry it's still difficult at times! I love your list of benefits!! :-)