June 23, 2009

Thoughts From Galatians

Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), and all the brethren who are with me,
To the churches of Galatia:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be the glory forevermore.  Amen.
Galatians 1:1-5

This opening salutation struck me a few nights ago when I read it:

How careful Paul is to clearly articulate that his apostleship is by the will of God (Eph 1:1), not the will of man and that it is the Father who receives all the credit for this.

The language used in this salutation causes mental images to arise, like that of Jesus Christ, the volunteer as He "gave Himself for our sins."  And His volunteering was for the ultimate good, to "rescue us from this present evil age".  

A mental image pops up - that of a damsel in distress.  Imagine an innocent victim captured by a wicked evil doer who plans torture of endless, various kinds and the palatable reality of death who is then miraculously rescued in the nick of time by our strong, triumphant knight in shining armor!  Except the rescue is so much greater than that and the evil of this age is so much worse than what we realize.

The Holy Spirit encouraged me with the following familiar verses:

"We are Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles; nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.  But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a minister of sin?  May it never be!  For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor.  For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God.  I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.  I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."
Galatians 2:15-21

In the context of sanctification this phrase, "Christ lives in me," has given me a renewed sense of hope.  I have been rescued from the worst evil, redeemed by a holy and righteous Volunteer who bore the wrath of God - which I could never begin to satisfy against my own sin - and now by faith that comes through grace, CHRIST lives in me! How awesome is that?!  Not only am I rescued, I am empowered to live righteously to the glory of God.  God's grace is enough because Christ - Christ Himself - lives in me.  The "surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe" (Eph 1:19) is magnified all the more.  These thoughts of rescue, redemption, and the infinite immensity of God's power is manifested by the fact, the fact, that Christ lives in me.  This is the power at work in me, that empowers me with the divine will to resist the world, flesh and the devil.  My systematic theology professor, when asked if it were possible for Christ to commit a sin answered that, "No.  He could not because He was God.  Physically He could commit sin, but His will was so opposed to sin, being God Himself, He hates sin and could never execute a sinful act."  This is the same Christ who lives in me!

That is such an encouraging thought.  God, give me the same hatred for sin, personal sin, that you have.  Thank you, Father!


No comments: