June 30, 2009

An Unresolved Tension

I feel that there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish all of the things I feel I need to do, I want to do, I'm compelled to do, commanded to do and feel obligated to do. I understand that all things have a certain level of priority to them. But I often think of how some of these women who have many more children than I, who homeschool, nurse babies, teach, sew, do laundry, clean, cook, etc. find the time to do all these things, maintain their sanity and, more than that, do so graciously with a gentle and quiet spirit, completely content in the grace of Christ.

Honestly, I don't know how they do it. I feel as though there are so many of these different things that I am unable to do - but I give them up, reasoning that this time to raise my children is short and could be gone so quickly. I consider that there are some tasks to undertake that will make a more lasting impression, with a more righteous origin and motive. How is it possible that I could do all these things? I suppose that the Proverbs 31 woman didn't have a whole lot of spare time, as active as she was. Maybe my problem is that I need to use every moment of every day more wisely and find more efficient ways of doing those things that are necessary that I find myself doing daily, like laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc.

Because of all these things competing for my time, I feel very discouraged, as though I thought I knew what was the most important, giving priority to that task, but I really don't. Perhaps by filling my life with all these things, making the most out of the time I have, I am afraid I would then give in to busyness and miss out on yet something else I might regret later. Perhaps all of this is just the fear of disappointing the people I love, maybe it's pride, anxiety or self-centeredness. I don't know.

---------------------

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
Galatians 6:9

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17


2 comments:

julie said...

Hi Meggan--

Thanks for the honesty. I felt compelled to comment, because, girl, I'm in counseling right now for trying to resolve the same tensions you mentioned. (Not to mention a host of other things) :)

It is overwhelming--and often discouraging--to allow the mind to wander over all that must be/should be accomplished during one day. And how to prioritize??! And what is the best thing I could be doing at any given time???! Yes, very overwhelming.

I'm not being very encouraging, I guess, but I just wanted to say that I relate to your thoughts 100%. And I have been reaching some conclusions about it all--not really through counseling, but in spending some time just thinking about what the Bible says, and what my husband has been saying. :)

Rambling, I know...early morning!

Erin said...

Meggan, I think every single woman goes through the same struggles. First rule is - don't compare yourself to others! How often have I gotten into the pit of "woe is me" by looking at others' lives and thinking they're doing it so much better than I! But I promise you that even the greatest "supermom" you can think of occasionally battles with the same inner struggles, and other struggles as well!

Secondly, prioritizing is a must! As well as good time management. You CAN accomplish everything that GOD has desired for you to do in one day. He never overburdens us. So, if there's too much, it means you're trying to fit in things that aren't God's work for you right now, or just mismanaging the 24 hours He's given you to do His work in.

Try praying about and making a list of your priorities, ask Jeramy his priorities for you, and then work out some sort of routine or schedule to see how they can all fit together and you can be most efficient in accomplishing what you need to do, without missing out on the biggest priorities (your man and babies!)

(((hugs))) you are not alone! Don't dwell in the pit of discouragement, that's only where the enemy wants you. Be encouraged and go to God for His solution! :-)