August 12, 2009

A Sober Taste of Mortality


Last night we saw a lightening storm over Duluth and Lawrenceville as we were driving home from the Northchase Apartments. The clouds were dark and threatening. Sudden bright, pure white flashes of light would randomly (more like sovereignly) light up a cloud here and there. It was awesome to watch! Whenever I watch or hear lightening I think of mortality and how much we are utterly dependent on God for our very breath.

Lightening really sobers my thoughts concerning my trust in the Lord and His sovereign will. It forces me to accept God's sovereign will because I have no control over whether or not I'm hit with the next bolt. I've learned to "make peace" with God when I'm caught in a lightening storm, because it could be my last moment. I think this because my house back in VA was struck by lightening 3 times in 5 years!

The first time lightening struck our house, it was a perfectly calm night in the summer, no rain to be heard at about 11:00 pm. I sat in the den watching TV when suddenly what sounded like cannon fire and drums blasted loud in my right ear, the window-lined sunroom next to me was all ablaze with the most brilliant white light I've ever seen! My heart skipped a beat. And just as quickly as it had come, it was gone. And all our house was awakened. My Dad sat straight up in bed from having been asleep next to my Mother and he, Mom and I began wandering around the house bewildered. Then Mom noticed the faintest brush of smoke flying across the ceiling upstairs and sought the phone to call for help. When the line malfunctioned, she ventured across the street to make the call. It turns out that a large bolt of lightening forked and struck our TV antennae and the tree next to our house, causing a fire in the attic immediately above my bedroom.

After the wonderful men in red exterminated the flames, insurance kicked in, and I lived in the basement that summer while the repairs were completed. Needless to say, we got a lightening rod to ground our house. And lightening has since and always caused me to wonder at the awesome power of God and be mindful of my own frail existence.

By the word of the LORD the heavens were made,
And by the breath of His mouth all their host.
He gathers the waters of the sea together as a heap;
He lays up the deeps in storehouses.
Let all the earth fear the LORD;
Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.
For He spoke, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.
Psalm 33:6-9

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and stars, which You have ordained;
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?
Psalm 8:3-4


2 comments:

The Shadburn Family said...

Wow, that's amazing. It's neat that lightning is like a rainbow- a reminder

Erin said...

Wow, that's wild! We saw the lightning, too, as we were driving up 285 on our way home from Florida. It was so beautiful! I've never seen anything like that go on for so long.