February 24, 2010

A Psalm & A Song


My heart overflows with a good theme;

I address my verses to the King;

My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

You are fairer than the sons of men;

Grace is poured upon Your lips;

Therefore God has blessed You forever.

Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One,

In Your splendor and Your majesty!

And in Your majesty ride on victoriously,

For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;

Let Your right hand teach You awesome things.

Your arrows are sharp;

The peoples fall under You;

Your arrows are in the heart of the King's enemies.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;

A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.

You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;

Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You

With the oil of joy above Your fellows.

All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;

Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad.

Kings' daughters are among Your noble ladies;

At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.

Listen, O daughter, give attention and incline your ear:

Forget your people and your father's house;

Then the King will desire your beauty.

Because He is your Lord, bow down to Him.

The daughter of Tyre will come with a gift;

The rich among the people will seek your favor.

The King's daughter is all glorious within;

Her clothing is interwoven with gold.

She will be led to the King in embroidered work;

The virgins, her companions who follow her,

Will be brought to You.

They will be led forth with gladness and rejoicing;

They will enter into the King's palace.

In place of your fathers will be your sons;

You shall make them princes in all the earth.

I will cause Your name to be remembered in all generations;

Therefore the peoples will give You thanks forever and ever.

Psalm 45


Majestic Sweetness Sits Enthroned

Words by Samuel Stennett, 1787


Majestic sweetness sits enthroned

Upon the Savior's brow;

His head with radiant glories crowned,

His lips with grace o'erflow;

His lips with grace o'erflow.


Survey the beauties of His face,

And on His glories dwell;

Think of the wonders of His grace,

And all His triumphs tell,

And all His triumphs tell.


No mortal can with Him compare

Among the sons of men;

Fairer is He than all the fair

Who fill the heav'nly train,

Who fill the heav'nly train.


He saw me plunged in deep distress

And flew to my relief;

For me He bore the shameful cross

And carried all my grief,

And carried all my grief.


His hand a thousand blessings pours

Upon my guilty head:

His presence gilds my darkest hours,

And guards my sleeping bed,

And guards my sleeping bed.


To Him I owe my life and breath

And all the joys I have;

He makes me triumph over death

And saves me from the grave,

And saves me from the grave.


Since from His bounty I receive

Such proofs of love divine,

Had I a thousand hearts to give,

Lord, they should all be Thine,

Lord, they should all be Thine.


See the full version here.


1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for sharing Samuel Stennett's great hymn. Today is the 215th anniversary of his death. If you'd like to learn a bit more about him, I invite you to check out my daily hymn blog for today, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.