March 25, 2010

Christians Who Don't Read?

I've had the privilege of befriending a young woman who works at the front desk of my gym. She's not a believer but does quite a bit of reading and we share many of the same interests. She typically reads non-fiction, self-improvement type books and was very excited when I shared a few small booklets, Resources for Changing Lives (NANC) entitled: God's Love: Better Than Unconditional and Motives: Why Do I Do the Things I Do? Both are excellent and Jeramy and I love to read these and glean new insights as well as distribute them through the ministry (at or below cost) and to individuals we may meet personally.

In the Motives booklet, Edward Welch brings the reader to the reality of idols - any time that we are serving someone or something else other than God. These Resources are great because it causes the reader to assume the authority of Scripture.

Sometimes we come across individuals who claim Christianity as their religion (I use that term loosely) but they don't read Scripture. The next question I ask myself is, "Are they serving some idol and not the revealed God of Scripture?" If we are not diligent to remain in the Word of God, constantly studying it for ourselves, interpreting Scripture by Scripture for a complete picture of who God has revealed Himself to be, then how do we know that the person we think is God really is God and not some idol we just call by the same name? The Enemy would just love to deceive us into believing that something else we call by the same name is God when it really is not.

We need to challenge the people we come in contact with, especially professing believers, that if they don't read the Scripture, then they won't know the true God.

. . . . . . . . .

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.
Deuteronomy 29:29

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.
John 15:1-2, 4-7, 10-11


No comments: