September 26, 2010

Recipes for Breastfeeding Moms

Our little one seems to have quite a bit of gas and it causes her a lot of belly discomfort. Jeramy and I refuse to call it "colic" because we reason that that term is just what doctors use to say, "Yeah she screams and we don't know why."

But since cutting my diet down significantly to eliminate the majority of known gas-causing foods, laying her to sleep on her stomach and keeping her over my shoulder during her wake times has brought about a better disposition and a somewhat more steady sleep routine. (And I'm more pleasant, too.) The list of gassy foods I found Here are:
  • Apples
  • Artichokes
  • Asparagus
  • Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Cheese
  • Corn
  • Fruit Drinks
  • Ice Cream
  • Milk and Milk Products
  • Onions
  • Pasta
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Potatoes
  • Prunes
  • Soft Drinks
  • Whole Wheat
Which is pretty much everything I eat! Also I had to eliminate caffeine and chocolate. *NO! Not chocolate!!* And I was very surprised to see some fruit on that list!

So, I've taken to making pumpkin bread for breakfast with grapes, melon, nectarines or oranges and an egg or bacon or french toast with jelly or maple syrup. For lunch and/or dinner I'll have white bread sandwiches with mustard, pretzels, Campbell's tomato soup, cucumber slices, salads with catalina dressing and brown rice. PB and J works too and buffalo wings. Spicy things seem to be okay when done low to moderately. I'm taking a calcium supplement and the white bread is fortified with calcium too.

About two weeks ago I made a chicken soup in the crockpot with 3 bouillon cubes, 2 white meat frozen chicken breasts, 1.5 cups brown rice, carrots, celery, 1 can of Leseuer peas, parsley, salt and pepper, cooked on high for 4 hours. Everything was raw when I put it in the crockpot and filled the remaining room with water. After it cooked I cut the chicken up into smaller, bite sized pieces and it was great. Give it a try. It was really easy and really yummy. It also doesn't cost a lot.

Last week I made another crockpot soup with 1 lb. hot italian sausage (which probably has some garlic and onion in it, I'm sure), maybe 1/4 cup of olive oil, a heaping handful of fresh basil, some oregano and parsley, about 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 1 can of Campbell's tomato soup, carrots, celery and I filled the remaining room in the pot with water and cooked for 4 hours on high. It was good but next time I think that chicken broth or bouillon will add more flavor instead of water and possibly a bay leaf or two. I wanted to add rice to this soup too, but we ran out. Only add one or two carrots if you add any. I really wanted something similar to sausage and lentil soup, but I'm unsure as to whether lentils are considered a bean. It's more like a pea, but aren't beans and peas from the same family?

If you have recipe ideas that don't contain those gassy foods -- PLEASE SHARE!!


1 comment:

Abby said...

Oooh... I don't know if I could do that... no chocolate is pretty serious. :D

I hope everything goes well!

Abby :D