January 19, 2010

Satisfaction for a Dissatisfied Heart

It struck me today as I was able to remain in 'bed' through the late morning hours, meeting no immediate needs: it is so easy to make idols out of what is experienced through our senses.

This is evidenced by the fact that often my heart is met with frustration, discontentment, bitterness and the like, none of which are any form of spiritual worship for a Holy God. Really, most people just want things to go their way: smooth commute to work, no unusual demands from the boss man, satisfying lunch, smooth commute home to a prepared meal and happy family with plenty of time to relax and go to bed at leisure.

Well, it might be different for me: uninterrupted night of sleep whereby I can get up at 5 or 5:30 a.m., have some quiet, private time in the Word, have an excellent workout, and shower all before the girls wake up. Then Moriah must not have any accidents, no whining, no hitting, pushing or begging, eating all her food and Lily must likewise be obedient and not poo in her diaper. All the dishes must be kept up with little to no mess on the floor, no pressing laundry or errands, no nausea . . . and this list could go on and on. I'm sure everyone's list of a perfect day would be as unique as the person and their specific role.

And if just one of these things is out of whack, there goes the whole day. All of us walk on pins and needles because things are not right. . . . There always seem to be dirty dishes collecting in the sink, dirty laundry that must be washed ASAP, grocery runs or other errands, whining, complaining, poo in the diapers, accidents on the floor, interrupted nights of sleep, another morning unable to get out of bed to workout or read, another strong urge to vomit, etc.

But things are like that everyday.

And everyday I fight for joy and contentment, for satisfaction and the knowledge that my efforts to raise up a godly legacy are not in vain. Sometimes it can appear that way. It is especially discouraging when I see that my girls have picked up certain ungodly traits when I strongly desire them to grow up and be godly young women, ready for their created purpose and to be satisfied in it. Sometimes it's really discouraging because we can examine ourselves, as Scripture says, and wonder why we don't exhibit more of the fruits of the Spirit. "I've been a believer for this long - why aren't I more loving, patient, kind, gentle, and exhibit more self-control?!" And doubt may begin to cloud our minds.

But then we realize the same thing Peter did, "Where shall we go? You are the One with the Words of Life."

How can we break out of placing all our satisfaction on physical things? How can we realize more fully all of those unseen things in which we should find all our satisfaction and joy?

I'm still learning this. It's easy to forget that everything physical was created by the unseen spiritual realm. There was a point in time where God, who is spiritual, took on a physical form and we were able to behold His glory. There is also a time in heaven for His children to behold His face clearly. But we're removed by time from seeing the Lord in bodily form for a while (unless He comes right now).

I suppose we just use the physical things to remind us of those spiritual unseen things and remember that everything physical is temporal, but everything that is not physical remains forever. The breath in my lungs is a physical evidence of God's sustaining power, love, mercy and grace upon me. The warm house and food in the pantry is another evidence of God's provision and expression of blessing. Not to mention all of the unseen spiritual blessings, God's foreordained knowledge of choosing a people by grace alone who would, as a result, come to faith in Christ Jesus and become His children.

Be satisfied in the unseen. Be a steward of the physical. Be content in the unmoving, unchanging Christ. And take joy in your role as helpmeet. I'm preaching to the choir.

You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Ps 16:11

As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness;
I will be satisfied with Your likeness with I awake.
Ps 17:15


No comments: