July 26, 2009

Just A Thought

As I look back over these past couple of weeks, I consider how much I let others influence the way I think and behave. This is not to say that God's Word doesn't influence me toward godliness - of course it does. This is in reflection of 1 Corinthians 15:33. Sometimes it is a good thing, when I spend time with other women I admire who, in one way or another, encourage me toward Titus 2 qualities. With these women, the fellowship is always sweet, transparent, convicting and full of joy. It's like a taste of heaven. During and after this wonderful time together, Christ is exalted in our thoughts and the pursuit of holiness finds renewed wind in our sails. It is refreshing and one of my great joys being a part of the body of Christ to which we've joined. It is blessed to be in the company of such fine women.

Other times, it is not a good thing. Personally, I am discouraged from godly qualities towards those of the world when I spend more time with people who are worldly. The outcome is not glorifying to God. The holiness of Christ is not satisfying. The divine role and calling of Biblical Womanhood is not fulfilling. Pleasure, power and possessions are joyless idols and self-centeredness does not reward any peace. Vainly chasing after the wind becomes tiresome and any momentary prize creates a vacuum of perpetual discontentment.

May Your grace ever be with me Lord, that I would pursue time in Your Word like water after a hard run. Exhort me to always seek time with godly women and convict me when in the presence of my brothers and sisters in Christ. May my sin be ever exposed that the motivation always be burning toward Christ-like holiness and righteousness in my words and actions.


No comments: