July 21, 2009

Since the Switch to Cloth . . .

I would like to share what I love about cloth diapers since I've switched. I do still use disposable diapers when we go to church for the convenience of those in the nursery and because we're out quite a long time. I still use disposables at night with Moriah for the sake of ease. But all the other time, I use cloth. I really like that
  • I don't have to run out in a panic to buy more disposables.
  • I don't have to spend NEAR the amount of money on diapers per month.
  • There is SO much less waste.
  • They are reusable.
  • They are so easy to clean and care for.
  • The cloth diaper laundry actually makes me more efficiently push through our weekly laundry.
  • After the initial rinse I don't have to touch them again until they're clean.
  • I can reuse the diaper covers and just replace the prefolds.
  • They do effectively contain breastfed blow outs.
  • They are very absorbent.
  • The prefolds have so many other uses too.
  • The prefolds are durable.
  • The diaper covers effectively contain early morning smells.
  • With consistent changes, there is less occurrence of diaper rash.
And Jeramy is more than willing to change them! (Now, don't misunderstand me - he doesn't volunteer to change diapers, but is very willing to change them when asked or required.)

The minuses are much fewer. Unless you have a diaper sprayer, you can count on swishing dirty diapers in the toilet. Occasionally the little bit of cloth on the leg gussets gets urine on it and causes the smell to permeate. The diaper pail smells awful but is easily contained with a lid and when laundry is commenced, disinfected and neutralized.

If anyone has any other thoughts about cloth diapers, I'd love to hear them.



No comments: