July 30, 2009

Personal Responsibility

In regards to an earlier post about the company we keep and how it relates to our own behavior, one thing I didn't mention that I have been meditating on since, is that each individual is personally responsible for our own behavior before a Holy, Just and Righteous God. (2 Corinthians 5:10)

While reading through 2 Corinthians yesterday, two passages struck me as it relates to this issue. Chapter 2 verses 6 through 9 caused me to pause.

Wherefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him. For to this end also I wrote, so that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things.
Verses 8-9

Someone in the church had received some severe discipline and it was very well known. This person continues to fellowship with this body (considering the persecution of that time) but somewhat stand-offish one could guess. As the people were commanded to reaffirm their love, they may not have wanted to; they might not have felt like showing love and kindness to this person. Their emotional desire is contrary to what should be done in this situation. But this lesson continues to ring with me: as a believer I am called to obey even when (especially when) I don't feel like it. And it's not hypocritical to do so. A child obeying a father's command is not hypocritical, it is mandatory. I'm still learning this.

Later at the end of Chapter 6 through 7, verse 1 it hit me that I cannot allow other individuals to influence my behavior especially in relationships that cannot be severed.

"let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

Sanctification is definitely not a one-sided attempt at grasping the holiness of Christ, but after the Holy Spirit convicting us, prompting us of sin in need of repentance, I must respond with a readiness and willingness to own it, repent of it, forsake lawless practices and practice righteousness.

This battle is not of flesh, but of spirit and I must remember that (Ephesians 6).


No comments: