July 24, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

This is one of my fears when it comes to parenting. I don't want my daughters to grow up and struggle with the same sin issues with which I struggle. Jeramy and I pray that they will come to know the Lord Jesus Christ, by grace through faith alone, at an early age and be spared much of the heartache of chasing after the wind. Even now, after two and a half years of marriage, we are able to give them a model that we didn't have in our childhood: two believing parents who hold to the authority, inerrancy and sufficiency of Scripture. Jeramy is a wonderful, loving, involved Father and I willingly stay home to raise and teach them.

Moriah is our honeymoon baby - conceived about the third day of our marriage. Having children right off, and two so close together, is a very effective method of sanctification because my sin mirror is staring me right in the face all the time. In many ways it is very cute to see Moriah doing the same things that I do: care for a "baby," breastfeed (really funny!), sing, dance, laugh, kiss her baby sister, try to walk in my shoes, etc.

But in other ways, many other ways, it is very discouraging to see her doing the same things I do which I hate. She is strong-willed and insists on her way. Her happiness is ruled by her circumstances. She is often very discontent and she yells in defiance. Where did she learn all of this? From me! and it's really depressing. I wish that sanctification happened a lot faster. I desire to repent and behave more graciously but the practice of such things is difficult, often very overwhelming and seemingly impossible at times.

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
Romans 7:18-19



2 comments:

Apologist & Theologian said...

Sanctification is an arduous process, but the more we recognize our sin, the more we know just how Holy God is and how much we need His Grace.

The Shadburn Family said...

I know what you mean. They're little sponges.

PS- Happy house hunting!