April 18, 2009

My Grandfather, John H. Jackson

God has placed me in a musical family. My Grandfather, John Jackson, was a Piedmont blues style guitarist. He played guitar, slide guitar and banjo. A few of my uncles and my Dad picked up the guitar also and continued in his steps. So, I'm not a foreigner to the string instrument family, having grown up listening to it all the time.My Mom's side of the family were all vocalists. Her Dad played the harmonica, better drunk she tells me, but my Grandmother sang constantly. I'm more comfortable playing violin, than I am piano or singing, simply because I've had more formal training on violin. But I thought I would share some of my roots with you.


Tonight I found my Grandpa on Youtube of all places! Enjoy this footage of him in action.


That Will Never Happen No More

John Henry

Rocks and Gravel


My Grandpa never made it a big deal whenever he would go somewhere to perform, whether it was locally or abroad. He was often on tour, away from his family - that's why I've never had aspirations of being famous. I was very much adverse to it because I considered, after seeing the effects down the generation, that family is a priority. Literally, as my husband says, your first ministry. But these links will take you to some resources that will tell you much of his life, some of which I saw, but much I didn't. I wish I knew him better personally, but I suppose it was never in God's will. However, that voice and style are forever embedded deep within me, whenever I arrange, accompany, freestyle, etc. I reflect the "busyness" of Piedmont blues.


Music Tree Artist Management

Blues World

Cascade Blues Association


I really enjoy playing very much and, for a time, I thought I might become a professional violinist in some orchestra somewhere. But the Lord did not permit me to remain on that path. What I'm doing now is much more rewarding than some short term musical nostalgia. I'm just a regular person with a visible and audible gift. I would gladly give it up to be able to walk in holiness with Christ, outside the presence of sin, for that is true joy. Amen!

1 comment:

julie said...

These videos are great--I can't wait to show them to John. It was neat to hear one of his original tunes, too.


Thanks for sharing!