April 23, 2009

Why Women Don't Stay Home

The more I stay home raising my children, the more I think about why most women don't stay home - it's hard.

Besides the everyday, day after day, household affairs that so quickly become mundane, there's the physically, mentally, spiritually demanding work of raising up the next generation.  To say that it's exhausting would be an understatement: chasing toddlers, breastfeeding, bathing, dressing, changing diapers, disciplining, potty training, homeschooling (in the future), laundry, and vacuuming peas and corn niblets off of the floor.  All of this work happens everyday, around the clock, 24/7, without regard to weekends, holidays or nights off.  It is impossible to do all of this and maintain some semblance of sanity without the grace of God.

What really makes it difficult for me personally is the consistent discipline when Moriah pushes her limits after receiving and understanding clear instructions that the action is displeasing and persists in disobedience.  Another facet to this behavior is the constant clamor that proceeds from her mouth in the form of whining, complaining, crying and shouting.  

Being a believer presents another difficulty - Moriah is already reflecting sinful behaviors that I'm currently fighting.  How convicting it is for any believing mother to watch her children mirror her own sin.

[Jesus] said to his disciples, "It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come!  It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble."  Luke 17:1-2

Through Christ, all the wrath against my sin has been fully and completely satisfied on the cross and there remains none left for me.  Praise God!!!  But the seriousness of passing stumbling blocks on to my children is a high priority for God, nonetheless.  

Staying home is really foreign to me.  Well, I'll admit that staying home is more convenient for me - being content to stay home, is my biggest struggle when I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work that it involves.  It would be so much easier to drop my babies off for someone else to take responsibility while I go do something totally unrelated for 8 or 10 hours and then return.  I wouldn't be accountable for training them up in the way they should go if I'm not with them the majority of their waking hours.  Children are most influenced by who they spend the majority of their time with - friends, teachers, classmates, daycare workers, etc.  At least if they're reflecting me, I know who is influencing them and how.  I know what sins they're exposed to.  And as I reflect the glory of Christ more and more as I'm sanctified, by God's grace I can discipline them further toward godliness as we grow together.  Yeah, this is not easy.  Sanctification is anything but easy, but there is joy in it, because we look increasingly more like Christ who redeemed us from the power, pleasure and vanity of sin.

Being a wife and a mother is the first divine, God-ordained role for women.  We are the only ones who can propagate the human race.  God has instilled within us the natural ability to nurture the next generation.  This is the purpose of our creation.  There is no greater aspiration that we can hope to achieve.  Before the rise of feminism, keeping the home was normative, now it is counter-cultural.  The joy comes from understanding and holding to the hope that it is divinely mandated.  Women who keep their home and do so with joy and contentment knowing that we are living in obedience to His Word and created order, bring glory to Christ.

God, please forgive me when I'm not content to stay at home.  Please forgive me for so easily becoming angered at my daily work load.  I know that I don't have near as much as others with more children and should therefore, be thankful.  Forgive me when I'm not thankful.  Forgive me when I'm not depending on Your grace to sustain my mind and body.  Please give me strength to take every thought captive to Christ and fight this spiritual battle within my four walls with the sword of the Spirit, that is Your Word.  I pray that you would encourage me daily in this fight and not to give up, knowing that Christ has won the battle and He has redeemed my soul.  Soften my heart that I might always desire after your holiness, glory and righteousness.  In Christ's name,
Amen.

2 comments:

julie said...

Well said, Meggan. The one positive thing I can say about feminism is that it has forced us to really think about why it is important for a mother to be with her children at home.

It is the most difficult job I have ever had in my life. Stephen is much like Moriah, I think--very active, always pushing boundaries, and often crying. :) I will pray for you.

Thanks for articulating this so well!

L. Siyam said...

I finally had a chance to visit your blog. It's been fun to read. Great words on this last blog.