September 29, 2009

Just Children of All Ages


"If you would listen to Me! . . .
Oh that My people would listen to Me,
That Israel would walk in My ways!"
Verses 8 & 13

How many times have I said something like this to my children in frustration, "Why won't you just listen to me!" There's a lot of temptation daily for frustration, anger and impatience when you're a parent.

If any of you have children, you know how easy it is for them to mirror the same sinful tendencies we exhibit. They see the way we act, the things we say and do, and how we react to pressure. Monkey see, monkey do. We look upon them, as their parents, frustrated that our children behave in such ways, even angry that they do not behave better . . . less like us.

The funny thing is that we are no different than children. When we see them do the same things we do, we see how ridiculous and selfish we can be ourselves. It is very convicting as we look introspectively and realize, "Wait, she learned that from me!" Bearing and nurturing children is, indeed, a sanctifying process.

God looks down on His children and says, "Wait, learn from Me! Behave like Me! Do what I say and you will be blessed!" He is our Father and He gets frustrated with us at times too! But His patience is far greater than my own. His faithfulness is greater, His love more profound and His commitment to us is much deeper than is ours.

I am just like a child, except older, and with more expensive or less visible idols.

Well . . . the conviction works. And I'm urged further toward the holiness and compassion of Christ, knowing that just as God the Father shows grace and kindness in the great wealth of His loving patience toward me - His disobedient (at times) and hard-headed child - I should do the same with the children He has entrusted to my care. Keeping this in remembrance helps greatly in motivating me toward leaving a more Christ-like example for them to follow. After all, I don't want them to battle the same tendencies that war against my new nature. Yes, they'll still be unregenerate until the Spirit gives life, but I am still responsible for them until they reach adulthood. And on Judgment Day, I will be held accountable for my attitude while they were in my care - what kind of legacy do I want to leave?




No comments: