September 26, 2009

Moriah At 22 Months


Today Moriah turns 22 months old. In some ways, it's really hard to believe that she is that old but in other ways we want her to be a little bit older. :-) I guess that's the way it is when you're parents, huh?!

Her communication has really improved as she is always learning new words and she is talking all the time. What impresses me the most is her grasp on the alphabet and numbers. She sings the Alphabet Song great, albeit some of the letters aren't pronounced with 100% clarity, there is still enough remnant to tell that "duhb" is "W" and "ks" is "X". She can count to 10, although she sometimes forgets 5, 6 and 7. Oh, and the funniest part about her counting is that 4 and 7 are pronounced with a southern accent! ("Fow" and "Seh-hmm." :-)

Moriah enjoys reading, learning flash cards and going outside. She knows several animal sounds: cow, kitty, dog, sheep, frog, lion, duck, goose and bear. It will be great to have a place with a yard where she can be safe and still explore every rock, stick, pine needle, flower and leaf. Grandma Jane has taught her to put some of these treasures into her pockets. :-)

Moriah has a very strong desire to help and she's very curious. Sometimes Jeramy and I really appreciate the help she offers and other times, not so much. Being a parent is tough in this area because sometimes it is difficult to decide when she is trying to help and when she is just causing trouble. Other times she gets into stuff she shouldn't because she's just curious as to how it works. I think that, as she grows, whatever stage she reaches will always be a new adventure for me as a parent. During this toddler stage, both of us, Moriah and I, have grown some. :-)

And I cannot let this month pass without saying that she, for several days in a row, could not keep her clothes on. Jeramy or I would walk into her bedroom in the morning or after her afternoon naps to find her buck naked in the crib, oftentimes with poo everywhere. Needless to say that neither of us were very happy. One day I saw her climb into her crib while the rail was in the lowered position and reasoned that she would be able also to climb out. So I converted her crib into a toddler bed with extra pillows on the floor and we haven't had as much trouble finding her naked with improperly placed poo.

Lastly, Moriah loves her sister. I think that they have become very good friends. Occasionally there is the small fight over a toy, but she is learning to share well. She likes to give kisses to Lily and stroke her hair. She has learned to give her toys gently without throwing them and willingly shares her water cup. I think that she will also be a very good Mommy, too. Watching them play together brings me joy. :-)




1 comment:

Leah said...

Moriah is so sweet and so cute when I see her at church.(Sam and Joe seem to miss five a lot when their counting too and they sometimes try to count their teens and almost always say twenty teen ;-).)Moriah is such a big girl and seems so well behaved when I am around her. You've trained her very well. I just love her hair and pearly white smile. She is so animated. I just adore her.