October 22, 2009

Hearty Bean Stew


This is a really easy and tasty crock-pot recipe. I hope you enjoy it.

3 cans (15 oz. each) brown beans, drained
2 lb. extra-lean hamburger
2 cans (10 & 3/4 oz. each) condensed tomato soup
1 can (11 oz.) condensed cheddar cheese soup
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock-pot; stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 10 hours (or on High for 3 to 4 hours). Yields about 3 quarts (8 or 10 servings).

The picture above does not do it justice. I used dried pinto beans, soaked for 12 hours and cooked (crock-pot) for 10 hours. I didn't have any condensed tomato soup so I added tomato juice and some diced tomatoes instead - which made it taste more like chili had I added chili powder, red pepper and cumin. I also browned the meat over the stove before I added it to the crock-pot.

I love using the crock-pot! The recipes are usually minimally labor intensive and the meals come out delicious.


No comments: